Tuesday 24 January 2012

tap dancing pigeons

Choosing Ireland as a study abroad option was a safe bet in my mind. They speak English, they must be similar to Americans.  IGNORANCE. The culture is rich to the core here (no offense America, you're a melting pot though!) and I'm learning how I always take the simple things for granted in the U.S. Here's some fun facts and lessons I've learned in the past two weeks:

1. "Good craic" (pronounced crack) does not mean that the pub sells drugs. It means good FUN is had there, and everyone has a good time...preferably not involving drugs.

2.  Cars drive on the opposite side of the road, but no worries! Look down and you'll see  "look left" or "look right" painted on the ground so you know which way to look if a car is coming.

3.  Hot water? Not always...

4. Washer and dryer in your flat? Not really...our washer is broken (there's a repairman in the kitchen right now...yes our washer is in the kitchen) and nobody uses dryers here, to conserve energy. Drying racks it is! & For us, wash our cloths in the sink with soap!

5.  You will run into people everywhere, sidewalks are narrow. Don't take it personally when someone shoves you.

6. GET WALKING SHOES. You walk everywhere. A 20 minute walk to school is nothing, you walk 45 minutes to shop and it's still normal.

7. Pigeons tap dance on my roof. It's like a show every time I step in the bathroom.

8. A 70 is actually an A here, so don't freak out when you get a 60 on your first essay.

9.  Well, I'm learning to cook. I cooked rice, eggs, and even boiled vegetables! I don't blame my mom for never teaching me, I was a brat and refused to learn. Now I'm stuck learning at age 20 in a foreign country, definitely an adventure..

10.  Heated ROOM? Only when it wants to work

11.  Drinking is social, not to get drunk.  Drunk Americans are extremely obvious in a pub.

12.  Americans talk louder than any one else. Lower your voice!

13.  Accepting a drink from a guy is code for "I'll go home with you." Glad my friend learned that lesson for me! Awkward when you deny him.

14.  Men are more attractive with Irish accents. & Yes, I am dating a nice Irish man I met at a pub. Hehe(;

15.  When you picture Ireland and you imagine rolling fields of green, it really IS like that in the country side!!!

16. Grocery stores don't give you bags for free...so either fork up another euro for a bag or remember your backpack!

17. You'll be cold outside, but you walk so much you'll start to sweat and then really regret wearing three layers once you get inside.

18. If you're lost, ask for help. Irish people love lost Americans!

19. Dogs aren't on leashes, apparently they're more trained in Dublin than America?

20.  Don't be surprised when a car drives on the sidewalk. Cars park half on the sidewalk and half on the street, so always be on the lookout for a car about to hit you...


Incase you didn't know...I love love love it here, and I'm learning more everyday as my journey continues!

1 comment: