Monday 30 January 2012

Dublin's fair city

This is my last weekend in Dublin until the grand St. Patty's Day March 17th! Such a hard concept to wrap my head around, but my main reason for studying abroad in Europe (as opposed to Africa which we all know I'm obsessed with) was to travel to my heart's desire! & That's exactly what I'm doing :) I only have class Monday through Wednesday, so my travels begin on Thursday mornings and I fly back either on Sunday evenings or Monday mornings.  This Thursday I will be off to PARIS!!! Don't worry, a beautiful Paris blog will be up shortly after I return on Monday.











It was a good weekend to be in Dublin because Temple Bar Trad Fest was going on.  Temple Bar is the touristy, expensive part of Dublin, but I love it nonetheless.  & TRAD MUSIC (traditional Irish music, like folk music with banjo's and accordions) is sweet, sweet music in my ears.  I have found my new love, and I could listen to trad music all night!  I actually only went out one night to hear trad music because every pub was disgustingly packed, but it was such a fun way to experience the culture and laugh and sing with the locals.  I am now determined to learn how to play the banjo before I graduate college!

During the day, festivities were just as grand, and on Saturday I took an Irish dance lesson from a professional Irish dancer!  It was a brilliant time, and I'm convinced I'm a natural. I'll be doing a project on Irish dancing for my Irish Language & Culture class, so now I feel like I have an insider's perspective!

I was wandering this weekend and came across Dublin Castle, and what a sight it was!  I decided to stop in for a tour, and it was a beautiful time.  I spoke Spanish AND Irish with my tour guide, my teachers would be so proud!  Whenever I'm on a tour, I find myself fascinated and enthralled within a world that used to be.  I literally transport my mind back to the place's height of popularity, and imagine myself in the midst of it's reign.  Dancing in the ballroom of the Dublin Castle, praying in its stunning chapel, and dining in the grand hall.  My imagination really gets the best of my sometimes, but I'm not complaining!

I've been trying to spend more time alone, because that's the best time I can focus on my relationship with the Lord.  Being without fellowship is a struggle, but the Lord has been faithful and by my side in every waking moment.  I love being alone and having Him as my constant companion to travel the world with, He really is the best travel guide!  I'm learning to trust Him more and more everyday, and I am so thankful for His infinite presence.


I probably won't post until after Paris, so au revoir!! I speak absolutely no French, but skyped with my brother so he could teach me some basic phrases.  Wish me luck friends, talk to you soon xxo!

No comments:

Post a Comment