Monday 19 March 2012

Finally....IRELAND.

I've spent most of my weekends traveling around Europe, which has been glorious, spectacular, breath-taking, and everything I could ever dream of.  However, I was definitely in need of some country side time, and missing Ireland - the green Ireland I adore, not the city of Dublin.  I'm not much of a city person, and I appreciate the country side far more than I ever could appreciate the tourist attractions of any city.  I'm writing this a little late, so it was two weekends ago that I went to Kerry - the southern coast of Ireland (more specifically, in Dingle.) This has been my absolute favorite weekend trip thus far, and being surrounded by green fields and fresh air was everything I hoped it would be.  About a three hour train journey from Dublin, we started out our Kerry adventure with a HORSE-DRAWN CARRIAGE. Side note - this was an IES (my study abroad program) sponsored trip, so they had everything planned and we were just along for the ride!  This experience was my favorite activity I've done in Europe.  It was about an hour ride through the mountains, just feeling the cold breeze in my face and praising God for His masterpiece of the landscape!  It was one of those moments of pure content - I was happy to be alive, living my beautiful life, and just felt overwhelmingly grateful to be me, carefully crafted by God to be His servant.  What a blessing He chose me to be me!!!! I was a happy camper to say the least(:



After that beautiful journey, we went on a boat tour of the lakes - with the most adorable dog - Charlie - that you've ever laid your eyes on! (BESIDES OLLIE AND SIMON...my doggies at home! Okay, and my grandma's dog Lexie is up there, too!) Charlie was a gem, pawing for attention and causing laughter the whole boat ride.  The boat ride reminded me a lot of a boat ride I took around this time last year - in Guatemala. I remember listening to a worship CD on my Ipod and just praising God for his boundless beauty.  That really applies everywhere I go - He just never stops with the beauty! Lucky us(:


We then took a stroll in the Killarney National Park (where the lakes were, as well) and ended up at a beautiful waterfall.  I tried to be my adventurous self and climb through the rocks to get closer, but I was not dressed for the occasion and was wearing nice boots.  So...I tried barefoot, but it didn't go so well and I definitely had a few bruised battle wounds.  & I didn't get too far...but hey, it was still pretty even if I wasn't one foot in front of it hehe!  After frolicking through the greenest fields you've ever seen, we headed to see some beehive huts - early monastic dwellings dating back to 1200 AD! They were tiny on the inside, it's so strange to the see difference of living spaces.  I can't imagine people today trying to fit all their worldly possessions in that hut!

We then got to frolic on a beach for a few hours, and what fun that was! I spent some time alone just talking with God and spending some much needed quiet time with Him.  The best place for that is definitely a secluded beach!!


We ended the day with a pottery lesson...I know, random! It was a little harder than I thought it would be, and I butchered my cup-like creation halfway through...but corrected my mistakes and I think it turned out decent!






The last day in Kerry was another highlight - I opted to go horseback riding through the mountains!  Granted, I haven't been horseback riding in years (and after the bike fiasco I was a little nervous...) but it turned out brilliantly! I must say, I was a natural. Although my horse...King...was a BRAT! He was the new guy in the pack, so he had to walk at the end of the line.  But the horse in front of him...BOB...wanted to take advantage of this.  Bob had been in the back for years, and now that he was next to last, he became extremely territorial.  Three different times, Bob spun around and spooked my horse, who would spin around as if to say.."kiss my ass, Bob!" Silly, silly horses.  I had to stay back a few paces so King wasn't too close to Bob, and King was not happy about this.  He kept pulling on the reins and it was definitely an arm work out for an hour.  But worth it(:  The scenery was spectacular, as always, and riding horses may be one of my new favorite activities! Overall, Kerry was a splendid success!

No comments:

Post a Comment